Friday, October 8, 2010

Trashy Brows


We kick so many habits and achieve so many great things in life, so why is it that we can’t put our tweezers down? As teenagers we all did it, “shaping” our perfect little virgin brows to oblivion.  Now we ask ourselves, why?! We pay for it now, stencils, tattoos, pencils, wax…. If we had only listened to our mothers…

Brows… What happened?
I should have listened, alas I fell victim to my tweezerman tweezers, I could kick my younger self.   If I had only known that they would never grow back the same. But I have mastered the art of filling in my brows and grown to love them. I’ve worked with so many beautiful people and its true; brows make my world go round.  I love eyebrows just as much as eye shadow, but not every brow encounter is a good one.

Your Brows are Trashy
 I hate to even say it but the most beautiful of women have the trashiest looking brows. And I just don’t understand what goes on? I just don’t understand why I have to convince some women to fill in their brows, don’t they see what I see?  I mean other people do have to look at your brows too.  And I often times find myself staring at their eyebrows aka “trashiness” above their perfectly blended new Nars eye shadow.  There is a definite disconnect happening.  Just because you decide to do nothing about your, I hate to say it, white trash looking brows, I still have to look at them.  Even if you’re not trashy, your brows can be. Yes I said it, I called your brows trashy, and now let’s fix them because they can’t fix themselves. Trashy brows to me are like seeing a dark burgundy lip liner paired with a vanilla frosted lipstick, nails on a chalkboard. 
I know I’m being dramatic but come on ladies! Yes brows are that important!  Listen to me, put the tweezers down and let those bad boys grow for a few weeks and see what happens… Its going to get hairy, no pun intended, but you have to stick it out, trust me. I know you don’t want people to think that you’ve let yourself go because you have a few baby hairs growing outside your normal brow, but trust ladies!!!!  Brows 101! No excuse for trashy brows!  Here are a few options:

FIND A PROFESSIONAL!

Just like your favorite manicurist, often times finding a great brow expert needs to come as a reference from a friend that doesn’t have trashy brows! Don’t try to go crazy doing everything on your own.  There are people trained to do this! They know what’s right for your face shape. Set up a consultation before you even start growing them out.  Most places wouldn’t even charge for a consult.  And when you’re ready for waxing or tweezing it usually runs between $15 and $25 each time.  Not a high price to pay for classy brows!
Ok so your options are waxing, tweezing and threading.  Threading started in the Middle East and made its way over here.  It’s a process of removing the hair with thread as opposed to wax or tweezers.  A lot of women like it because it gives very defined and precise brows immediate, without having to do a wax/tweezing combo. It’s not for everyone, but some women rave about it. I’d try it just to experience it







*If you are impatient and can’t bear to wait a few weeks to see new growth here’s a trick…  All of those lash enhancers can be used on brows… so every night after you apply to your lashes, put a little on your brows.  It definitely works; I’ve tried Neulash on my brows and seen faster results.  Peptides and proteins in a magic little bottle!


Overachievers
If you want to do it yourself, first and foremost you need to determine your ideal brow shape.  A beautiful flow over your eyes! To find your perfect shape hold the handle of a brush on the outside part of your nostril so its almost perfectly vertical, that is where your brow should start. Slightly turn the brush handle until there is an imaginary line that goes through your iris, that is where your arch should be. Turn it a little bit further until the handle draws an imaginary  line thru the outside corner of your eye, that is where your brow should end.  If it makes it easier, use your eyebrow pencil to make a little dot at each of the 3 spots, beginning, arch and brow end.


Pencil
Ok you need to find a pencil that is a shade slightly, and I mean slightly, lighter than your normal brow color.  The reason for this is that since you’re new at this, applying with a heavy hand won’t give you an overly drawn in look. The lighter shade is a little more forgiving of a pencil newbie!  Using light strokes start from one dot, filling in more so from the beginning to the arch and less from arch to the end of your brow. I cannot emphasize enough, light strokes, no drawing. Use a mascara wand to brush through your brow to ensure a really natural look.
I love the Nars Eyebrow Pencils because they are on the dryer side.  They really stay put and don’t apply too heavy, even with the heaviest of hands.  I feel like it takes me forever to go through mine. If you hate to have to sharpen a pencil, my other favorite is Trish Mcevoy’s Precision brow.  I’m actually pretty obsessed with the fact that it always has a sharp point, so I can consistently have that pretty, full looking brow.  Trish’s automatic pencil also has a brow brush on the other end of it, super convenient.

                             
Powder
If you have a heavy hand powder is a great option.  I like the Laura Mercier Eyebrow Duo because there are two shades of powder in each compact that you can mix and match to get your desired shade.  All you need is a powder and an eyebrow brush and you can apply in just about the same way as with a pencil. I like the Nars eyebrow brush because its bristles are really short and deposit just enough color without going overboard

Wax
One more option for the ladies with unruly brows… WAX! Ok so there’s a few of them out there but Smashbox has a brow powder and wax trio! Yes you mix and blend colors to perfection and add the wax to keep your brows tame.  You use a slightly different brush, one that is double ended.  One side is for the powder application like a traditional brow brush and the other side is synthetic so cleaning it after using the wax is easier.  I recommend their brow brush as well with this particular product…Amazing!  I don’t think there’s anything better for an unruly brow.  Hit this up!

     End Result




Listen I’m not trying to get everyone to walk around looking like Brooke Shields, but its important to give just as much attention to your brows as anything else in your beauty regime.  Whether you do them yourself or leave it to the experts.....Love up on your brows! No more sparse, non existent, awkwardly shaped, sad brows.  No more Trashy Brows!
Jaci

No comments:

Post a Comment